An operating system, also known as OS, is the heart of any computer, tablet or smartphone. This software allows these devices to work properly and to be able to execute some tasks. In addition, this kind of software presents an interface that ease interaction between the users, programs and external hardware or tools.
Due to the OS, anyone can use any device without being a software engineer or to have to learn the programming languages. All the operating systems are responsible for translating all users’ interactions and manage the device components so it can perform certain actions as desired.
HERE WE WANT TO SHOW YOU SOME OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE OPERATING SYSTEMS:
- Allow users to use any external items connected to the device (hardware) or programs installed on them (software).
- Manages and distributes the processor capacity so that all programs can function properly.
- To manage the memories of the device so all the programs can make use of it without impairing the functioning of others.
WHAT IS THE BEST-KNOWN OPERATING SYSTEMS?
There are several operating systems in the market that offer several utilities and benefits here is a list of some of them.
- Windows and all its versions
- Linux and all its variations
- Macintosh and all its versions
- Firefox OS
- Ubuntu OS
- Sailfish OS
We will keep the focus on Mobile OS Android and iOS covers the majority (90%) or more users since Android is the preferred option for the majority of manufacturers and iOS of course is Apple choice.
In Scrummers we want to show you some pros-cons of these operating systems with the purpose that you can analyze which one suits the necessities of your next app.
|iOS – Apple||Android – Google|
|● iOS has a dynamic, practical and intuitive interface.
● That means that the users could adapt easily to iOS.
● iOS is one of the most secure operating systems in the market.
● All the apps developed by Apple have the seal of quality and excellence of this company because Apple performs different tests before launching it in the App Store.
● An app can work in any iPhone and iPod, and if certain elements are incorporated, it can operate on iPads.
● All the developing businesses launch apps first on iOS that in Android.
● All iOS users tend to make more purchases than Android.
● This operating system offers a function for people with disabilities.
|● This operating system uses an open-source, which means that the users can personalize their device in an easier way.
● The Android OS has one of the most qualified virtual assistants on the market.
● It is easier to get developers who know to develop on Android than iOS.
● There are a wide variety of devices that have Android OSs, so users have the possibility to choose some device that adjusts their needs.
● The Android devices are cheaper than the Apple products, which means that more people are able to have a Google device. In addition, any app in these OS could reach more people.
● Google releases new updates regularity.
● It is easier to advertise on Android apps than in Apple apps.
|iOS – Apple||Android – Google|
|● The users cannot easily customize their own devices.
● Developing apps in these operating systems are more expensive because not many developers know the specification of this OS. However, in Scrummers we perfectly know how to develop an app in Android and iOS.
● The aim public of this OS is an exclusive one and the price of it is relatively high.
● Some native apps or specific features are available in some countries.
● If the apps do not get frequent updates, Apple tends to take them out of the App Store.
|● The Android OS works with an open-source, which means that it is a target of numerous malwares.
● The security level of Android OS is lower compared with apple devices.
● Although Google releases updated regularly, they are not intended for a wide variety of devices.
● This operating system needs more resources to be functional.
● This system has been defined by being unintuitive. Although some improvements have been presented.
● Android OS allows phone carriers to pre-install apps.
Moreover, we recommend you to answer the following questions so you can examine whether your next app fits in what you are looking for:
- What kind of audience do you want to reach? What kind of devices do they use?
- Do you want to get more people or to have an exclusive target?
- Do you want your users to make purchases from your app?
- On which devices should your app work? What are the most important features of it?
- Does your app need to use some specific functions? Which ones?
- Are you willing to update your app frequently?
- Ii is it better to develop a native or hybrid app?
These are some but not all the facts about these operating here at Scrummers We can help not just to choose the right one but to develop your next app for one or multiple OS using the latest techniques and best practices.